Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mini Tofu Quiches

I never liked quiches before I was vegan but I decided to give a vegan quiche a go even though I was doubtful because tofu when cooked in certain ways comes out remarkably similar to egg. I came up with this recipe after searching many other recipes and not being able to find the perfect quiche for the ingredients I had on hand.
They turned out great, and are tasty hot or cold. I also like the fact they have no crust because I can never be bothered to make the crust and is one reason I rarely make any type of pie/flan/quiche.



makes about 12 mini quiches

Blend in food processor until very smooth:

1 12 ounce pack regular/firm tofu (not the silken kind)
1 teaspoon tahini
1 teaspoon cornstartch
enough soymilk (about 1/4) to give smooth consistency. Add the soymilk slowly, you want to texture to be like a thick cream cheese, not watery.


Then saute:

1 garlic clove minced
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 - 1 red capsicum finally chopped (depending on size)
1/2 cup very finely floretted broccoli
a good sprinkling of seasoning eg. herb salt/stock

when the vegetables are soft add:

Finely chopped sundried tomatos (about 4-5 you want just enough to give flavour but not overtake)
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 table spoon fresh chopped basil

Stir for a few minutes more then add the tofu mixture and mix to combine. Drop into a well greased cupcake pan and press a slice of fresh tomato on top.
Cook about 30-40 min in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius or until the top is begining to brown and the tomato is  starting to shirvele.

No comments:

Post a Comment